Monday 8 April 2013

Just a Little Prick




Knit one, pearl two then repeat until you go blind or mad and poof a scarf is born. I always find it interesting how millions of people pick up knitting or crochet needles without a second thought, but mention getting an immunization shot or, even worse, engaging in a needle scene and they go white around the gills. Really, a needle is a needle but I guess it is all in the application and really it is “just a little prick” when it is all said and done.

Like so many BDSM activities, needle play can be used for numerous purposes from assisting in getting over a childhood fear of needles to an endorphin-filled thrill ride to a sacred spiritual ritual. Like everything in life, it is the intent associated with the action that determines the outcome. When my ladies and I first started going to our local club and then to fetish and kink events around the country we spent a lot of time sitting on the sidelines watching in a kind of confused fascination at the things people would do to one another.

I often thought, “Why in the world would they let someone do that to them?” As we attended numerous training classes, read a lot of books and spoke to everyone who would sit still long enough we slowly started to learn that there were as many reasons as people engaged in the various activities. One that particularly amazed me for a long time was the temporary play piercing, or needle scene. We watched many a scene where one person would insert a number of long (the ones we usually use are 22 gauge, 1 ½” long) needles into and then back out of their partner. Granted, it was often in very elaborate and beautiful patterns, but I couldn’t see the point.

Now, I am an adventurous kind of guy and one night the club was having a “Taste of kink night” where people of recognized skill would allow inexperienced people to see what various forms of play felt like. They had flogging, caning, fire, wax, violet wand stations and of course needles. Curiosity getting the better of us, the ladies and I all spent a ticket and got a three needle piercing in the arm, just to see what it was all about.

A new favorite type of play was born in kasi. She absolutely loved the endorphin rush that the piercing produced. I found it an interesting experience and surprisingly not painful in the least. Eeza didn’t really get much out of it but was glad she had tried it. We decided there was more to explore with this form of play and were lucky enough to receive our very own piercing kit the following Christmas from members of our leather family. We spent time learning the skill and practicing, then had the opportunity to attend a local event called “The Dance of Life” which was an amazing experience.

This is a very spiritual event based on the Lakota Indian Sun Ritual and involves the use of hooks for the really involved people to use to pull against for the experience, or as we did to get a piercing with bells attached. Once the bells were attached you join in the dancing (to the beat of a kick ass drum circle) and as the bells bounce up and down they pull slightly on the piercing, releasing a flood of endorphins. The energy in that room was palatable and it was one of the most amazing experiences we have ever had. It really brought home the varied uses for this often feared form of play.

In the years that have passed since then we have participated in the event whenever we are in town when it occurs and we anxiously look forward to the next time. I have spent many hours of practice learning this skill and recently had the opportunity to show our new partner evie and her friend the joys of this form of play. To me at least it is an incredible thrill to help someone who is curious but unsure experience just how amazing BDSM play can be.

To that end, we use our position as erotic romance authors to show various and assorted forms of play in our books. We engineer scenes that allow the reader to experience what the characters are feeling without any risk. For things that are considered on the edgier side, like needle play, we often put them in a lighthearted or comedic scene to illustrate that with proper care and application the inner kinkster in all of us can be fed. If you would like to see just such a scene check out our latest story (Double Dom Fantasies, #3 in the BDSM Ménage Fantasies by Cassidy Browning, Siren Publishing) where our big bad Dom Crash, a professional football player, who is terrified of needles, finds that with the proper application of a sexy distraction, you won’t even notice them.

In addition to the spiritual and endorphin uses for this form of play, an artistic side can be found. Here is a picture of a scene we did at our local kink event last year where I made a custom set of chainmail jewelry for kasi to wear in the dungeon. As she walked around showing people the set, they would swing about giving her a continuous endorphin thrill.



 
There are many wonderful examples out there of the beautiful art created with this type of play, so next time you hear the word needles, after your initial shudder, give a thought to the other possibilities. If you have any questions about this form of play or any other and how you can make your own BDSM romance more realistic without having to try it yourself, please don’t hesitate to ask me or any other skilled practitioner. I will be presenting workshops at RT on realistic BDSM writing with the extremely talented kasi Alexander (Cassidy Browning), Lexi Blake and Shayla Black and kasi and I will be doing so again at RomCon so come visit us and share your stories as well.

Reggie Alexander
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/reggie.alexander.71?fref=ts
Blog : http://naughtyeverafter.wordpress.com/
Buy : http://www.bookstrand.com/cassidy-browning
Chainmail : http://www.polyspleasures.com/Necklaces.html

11 comments:

  1. This totally makes me want to try needle play but then that is not a surprise since I loved getting tats. Great blog Reggie !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Reggie, I'm even more intrigued by needle play now. I've yet to find someone to try it with as the hubs has his own fears of needles, and inserting them into my skin isn't going to happen anytime soon. Keep doing what you're doing, and sharing it with us, because we love hearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Loads Reggie it is always interesting to read your stuff. Being in a small isolated country with a very vanilla outlook truly treasure the chance to see into this world. One day I would love to try it but you have to know the right people right. Hope to see you next year at NOLA and hopefully I will get over my fangirl moment and will be able to ask you questions. Cheers Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Schmuttmeister Dowds, Lori and Cherie it is appreciated. I wasn't sure how well this topic would be taken but I am glad people like it. Yes Cherie you should find people who know what they are doing and I look forward to meeting you at RT in NOLA. Lori I would be happy to show the hubs how to do it if he gets over his needle issues. I will have my kit at RT and Romcon for anyone who would like to see what equipment is involved and I am sure kasi would be happy to demo them for you all, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry the above comment was from me and not kasi, I just didn't see that she was signed in instead of me. Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great blog.....thank you for sharing ..I have been very intrigued about needle play since reading Double Dom Fantasies, #3 ...there is just something about it.....through RP and blogs like this one and of course the books I read I am learning a lot about myself and things I may like..... It is also very helpful hearing others stories...please continue to share with us the knowledge of the different BDSM activities that you participate in weather here on the blogs or in your books...I love reading them all....again thank you for bringing us into part of your world you and Kasi both....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention....my favorite needle play was in The Masters of Falcon's Fantasies Book #2 with Daphne,Finn and Decker with the feathers....that was amazing :)

      Delete
    2. That's awesome, thank you! I felt that was a very powerful scene in the book as well.

      Delete
  7. What an interesting kink! Thank you for sharing this with us. The chain mail display is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ladies! It is awesome that you read Double Dom Lisa, I would love to know what you thought of the needle scene in that one. We haven't had much in the way of reviews for it so I have no idea if people liked it or not, lol. Glad you liked the chainmail Tara, I was kind of proud of it, I haven't seen anyone else who has done something like that so it was kind of cool to do it. Besides she looks amazing in it, most due to the beautiful, dreamy look on her face during piercing scenes I think.

    Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the insight into,this unique practice! I have a horrible needle phobia and I can see how this could help alleviate that! I would be interested to learn more! As always, love your posts!

    ReplyDelete