Wednesday 16 January 2013

My First Time


           

Yep, time for me to write another blog. *sigh* You have a dirty mind because I know what you were thinking from the title of today’s blog, you nosy heifers. Today’s actual topic is Authors Love them or Hate Them???

Wait. Scratch that…maybe, that is another blog for me to write later. Mwahahahaha. Nope, today is about meeting authors. I will tell you about my first author meeting. I know this is going to be hard to believe, but I have fan girl moments all the time. I usually am all alone, but I have them. My boys at work are so tired of hearing about my authors. I am surprised they haven’t killed me yet.

Moving on to my first author meeting…hmmmm, let me think a moment. Oh yes, I remember now. It was just a few years ago. Now let me just tell you that I never in my wildest dreams thought I would meet an author. I live in the middle of nowhere Illinois; no one ever comes here so I just never let the thought cross my mind. Then one day I was talking to a friend in Nebraska whom I was going to visit for the first time. I was checking to see what date would be good for both of us. Then I found the perfect week. Sherrilyn Kenyon, with whom I am slightly obsessed, was going to be in Kansas City, Missouri which was only three hours from my friend’s house. I figured hell I was already driving nine hours to meet Debs so three hours to meet Sherri, piece of cake.

The trip was planned and off I went. I spent a few days with Debs and we planned the trip in detail. Okay, not really. I just put the address in my gps. I put in some of my favorite music, and we hit the road.  I took every hardback book I had of Sherri’s along with the first book of each series.

The great thing about Sherri is she will sign all your books, if the stores will let her. We got to the bookstore early and scoped out the best seats. We wandered around the mall for a bit and let me tell you that was a huge ass mall. It was about three hours till the signing so back to the bookstore we went.

We picked our seats and copped a squat to wait. More and more people started showing up and pretty soon it was standing room only. I was excited and very nervous as well. I mean hell it was SHERRILYN KENYON!!!

Finally the time was upon us. She came out to huge applause. Dianna Love tours with her so she keeps everyone entertained while Sherri is signing. I had read Dianna because she writes the Bad Series with Sherri. They talked and answered questions for about an hour then the actual signing began. Dianna was giving away lots of swag and kept everyone in stitches while we waited. I was having so much fun I started to relax.

The line was long, and it was going on hour three of waiting when I noticed there were just a few of us left. I started to get nervous again. We stood up to get in line, and I started to get really jumpy and twitchy. Finally, I was the next person in line. I started to panic. What do I say? Will I make a fool out of myself? Will I toss my cookies all over her. All the scenarios played through my head at warp speed.

She looks up and smiles and asked me my name and said something about me being a huge fan judging by the amount of books I had brought with me. Just like that I relaxed because she made me feel so comfortable just by smiling and mentioning my love of books. She never made me feel rushed and she took the time to answer some questions that I had and posed with us for pictures. I am so glad she was my first author.

Now you know about my first time. What was yours? Or are you still holding on to your author cherry for just the right one to come along?  If you have had a wonderful author experience and would like to share, just contact us and we can set it up for you.


Sinfully Sarcastic,

Shmuttmeister

18 comments:

  1. The Shmuttmeister got her cherry popped! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just jealous that I have met Sherri and you haven't

      Delete
  2. Love this blog Well done. I cant wait to have a few fan girl moments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm jealous you've met Sherri and I haven't. I'm jealous you've met a lot of the authors I'm dying to meet. I'm not sure I'll be able to breathe at RT when I get to start meeting some of them. Great post Pimp Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see us carrying around an oxygen tank for you. I am sure you will be fine though.

      Delete
  4. Hey every time is the first time when it's a new author :P You did meet Anne Rice (which I am soo jealous of) When we go to NOLA in '14 we gotta find out which house she lived in while writing the Vampire Chronicles and check it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was much smaller than I was expecting and so nice. My brother has a picture of the house from when he was in New Orleans a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Garden District.8f you take one f the tours, they'll point it out :)

      Delete
    3. She lived in the Garden District. They point out the house on the tours.

      Delete
  5. NOLA in 2014 will be the first time I will get to meet any authors...so you may need to bring smelling salts in case I faint ...hopefully you pervs will provide me with Dutch courage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dutch courage and skittles I have both things on my list.

      Delete
  6. Sherrilyn was my first Author too. I am just curious what book was she touring for. I met her in Oct of 2008 for Acheron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was for No Mercy. She was awesome

      Delete
  7. I haven't bee lucky enough to meet any of my favorite authors...but I'm hoping to change that in 2014 in NOLA.....I will have some of those fan girl moments I promise that.....great blog Tina loved hearing your experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I will be standing by with a video camera to capture all blackmail worthy moments.

      Delete
  8. I have met Karen Marie Moning..who was disturbingly shy for a writer of such powerful characters....and the indomitable J.R. Ward! *sigh*....Black Dagger Brotherhood.... 'Nuf said! I love me some BDB! Ms Ward was funny and outgoing and cussed almost as much as me, so, of course, I loved her! I had my fan girl moment when she asked if she could borrow my Sharpie for signing other stuff after signing my coffee mug..... I told her she could keep it....I'm a total nerd!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to meet JR Ward!! I have noticed a lot of authors are actually shy in person.

    ReplyDelete