Thursday 20 March 2014

Mia's Blog

This blog is for Mia Ashlinn. She beta reads my blogs looking for the multitude of grammatical errors that run rampant through anything I write whether it be blogs or letters or posts. Anyway she is always telling me that her favorite blogs are the ones where I am more personal, so this is all her fault and you can send her all the messages.

I am sitting here nekkid, yep, I said nekkid. I am all alone except for my cat who seems to be looking at me with disgust. I am nervous, self-conscious and scared. Now you are scared, but no need there will be no pictures. I bet you are hoping this doesn’t go into the dreaded TMI zone. You are safe, I promise…. maybe mwahahahahaha. Why then am I nekkid, scared, and self- conscious, because this is blog is about one of my rediscovered favorite things, baths. That explains the nekkid and the self- conscious but the nervous….. well I am actually writing it while I am in the tub so I am worried about knocking the computer in the water. Anyway, a bath is something we dreaded as kids but long for as adults. And I have recently found the joy again.

A few of you might know that I recently moved, my new apartment has given me something I have never had in my life. A private bathroom. This is HUGE!!! Not the bathroom but the fact that I have one that I only share with my cats. I am one of those rare people who has never lived alone. I grew up with 11 siblings and my mother so a bathroom to myself was never an option. My entire adult life I have lived with at least one sibling which means hurry up and get out of the bathroom so I have only been able to take showers.

One of the things that sold me on this apartment was that I would have the master bedroom, with that came a walk in closet and a private bathroom. I moved in October and that means I get extremely busy with work. But with the New Year, for those who work in retail, means February. I have more time. I have started to find something that I haven’t done since I was a girl. Baths. I had forgotten how relaxing they could be. I took my first bath a few weeks ago and I will get to that but I need to explain something.
\
I have a love hate relationship with water. I don’t even enjoy drinking it. I grew up drinking spring water that my grandfather always had around so city water and most bottled water makes me want to heave. I almost drowned a couple of times as a kid even though I had two years of swim lessons. Everyone in my family swims like the fishes but I sink to the bottom everytime. I know how to swim but I still sink because I can’t relax I guess. I love the rain but I don’t like to be submerged in water except for baths.

I took my first bath in years a few weeks ago and it was only because I pulled a leg muscle at work and it kept tightening up so I decided a bath would help loosen it before bed. I started the water added Burt’s Bees Therapeutic Bath Crystals and stepped in. Sidebar here, anyone else  notice that you can stand the hottest showers but step into the tub with the same temperature water and you feel like a lobster being prepared for dinner? I fixed the water temperature so I could actually sit in it without needing the paramedics. Then something amazing happened, my whole body started to relax. I leaned back and thought of nothing. I had found solitude except for Grimm who felt the need to sit on the edge and look at me like I was a freak.  I stayed in the tub for a little while that first time but I decided this would become a private ritual between me and my cat (mainly because he won’t leave).

I have now started to take baths every couple of days. I still need my morning shower to wake up but a lot of nights I will get my drink of choice, my computer and just head to the tub. Why my computer you ask because Midsommer Murders helps me relax so I need Netflix. I will get the temp of the water just right and climb on in for at least one episode. I do however need to let water out and refill when it gets cold because an episode is about 90 minutes.

It surprised me how much I am loving my time in the tub. I can watch DCI Tom Barnaby solve crimes in the villages of Midsommer and think about whatever is bothering me on any given day. There is only one thing missing and this is where you all come in. I need a good bubble bath. I hate shopping so please give a girl some suggestions.

Sinfully Sarcastic,

Shmuttmeister 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. My flat is so tiny we have a shower only. I look forward to hunting for new place when I come back from NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking at floor plans to build a house and I don't want a tub in the master. They all have those huge garden tubs and I am not tall enough to reach the other side to clean it without getting into it.

    ReplyDelete