Wednesday 11 June 2014

Translator Required

Kia Ora, ( Hello) Perverts.

Hey Cherie here. I live in New Zealand in a City called Palmerston North.  It is the main City in the Manawatu area, 80,000 people live here apparently.  New Zealand is the first place to see the sun on a new day.  I love it.  And that means we are at the bottom of the Earth. So this is why I speak a different language to you even though it is still English.

So now you may understand while in chats or in threads that often I would either ask for a translation please or I was sitting with my laptop smiling and nodding until the shoe dropped and I finally figured out what the heck you were all gabbing on about.

I had no idea what swag was for an author, in Australia which is the west Island of New Zealand ( you know you love me Fi) your swag is your bedroll when you are out camping, so when I was entering competitions for swag I was floored.  I did not have a clue.  If you find the words for Waltzing Matilda I think it has a swag man in there too. J

When I was reading Mia and or Lori’s books they had playlists attached and they nearly always had country Music on them.  I went and I listened and I loved most of them.  In NZ we don’t get alot of Country Music.  Most of the songs that are played on our Radio stations are pop music with a little mix of Rock.  We may get a sample taste tease at the best like Taylor Swift or the really popular Lady Antebellum song.

 From this group though I have purchased Maroon 5’s album mainly because of the inspiration it gave Mia and because listening to more of it not only the released singles I really loved it.  I have been exposed to music and artists that I have never heard of, I am one of those people who will listen to a song and love it and never have the foggiest idea who actually sang the song.  So I listened to Adelitas Way from Tina putting up the link for the song that she thought fit the Perverts “Dirty Little Thing”, then I asked Luna if she knew any folk kind of mellow songs and she has hooked me up with Loreena McKennitt and I chill out with her when my brain feels like I am about to explode.  I love it.  I have been searching you tube so much more and finding so many artists that I have never heard of.

Then I have learned about great TV shows Like Arrow and I was very linched when I said that I had never watched Supernatural so now I am watching my sisters DVD collection.  In NZ we don’t have Netflix or the like, we have 12 free to air channels and If we are lucky we get good shows.  Just this past week Arrow aired for the first time on our TV, before that I have been watching it on line through a free tv site.  I still cannot get into Vampire Diaries though there is some great specimens of creation to be admired I admit a lack of interest in it. (please don’t hate me Heather Long and Chris No one Walker)  It sucks being in the future but realising you are so far behind in regards to so much.  Do you know it costs me 17 dollars to go to see a 3D movie over here and that even though the Hobbit is a Kiwi film we only got it on DVD last week.    So okay, now you know that the future is not all its’ cracked up to being lol.  Sorry rambling there for a minute now back to it.
  
 Another thing that I noticed was the way you North Americans use insults to show affection to each other.  For example there is Chris and Tina, Tina is Chris’s Heifer and Chris is Tina’s Hooker hard to understand when you rock up to a chat.  I still remember that chat that Tina logged off and came back on as Heifer it was Chris’s Birthday and Chris cheered that Tina truly loved her so of course Tina said that she was drunk so it didn’t mean anything.  I still find it really hard to curse in type so I use Duck a lot like I am so Ducking excited to be trying to write this blog, I can see Luna doing a face palm at this, she is trying so hard to get me to let loose in our facebook Fun Box.  It totally made my day one day when I was commenting on something and Tina was like I am sorry but do I know you?  Then I felt like I truly fit in.

So now that I have “met” all of you I find that I need a map of North America to pin point where you all live and so that I can understand the abbreviations of the states that you all live in.  I get frustrated then have to laugh at how confused I get at your geography, just ask Tracey Reid I was mocking the Kansas Border that it had become similar to a twilight zone line because once Tina and Mia crossed it they were giving hugs, Tracey had a little giggle and said ah Cherie we are in Missouri, Kansas City but it was not in Kansas!! Talk about confusing the Blonde kiwi chick so I amended my line of influence to the Kansas City limits so there crazy US geography I still got my point across.  This was of course when you all had fun at RT and I was at home enjoying it through your photos with my  IRPP partner Luna Wildwood.  We stalk well together. (Different Time Zones to catch all info.)

There are so many other things that I am trying to come to grips with but that will alas have to wait to blog for another day.

Is there an understanding barrier for you guys too when talking to people who live outside of North America?

Kia Kaha (Be Strong) and Arohanui (With Deep Affection).
From your perv from Middle Earth. 
xoxoxo

Cheri Clark 









2 comments:

  1. Wow that was alot of gibber gabber but I still love it. Can you believe that was written over a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things have changed for you in just one year !!!

      Delete