Wednesday 25 June 2014

A Dedicated Readers Angst



Some of you know me and will agree with me but others will just assume I am a bitter reader. I am okay with that but for those who know me you will understand where I am coming from on this blog because I have expressed my concern to a few of you. I have wanted to write about it for a long time but I have felt too close to the subject to not just write a rant.  I have become a very cynical reader and this has caused me to get into a reading funk. I have read maybe six or seven books since August. This is something new for me, I have had reading funks before never one that has lasted this long. For a while I was scared that I would never be able to read again with the exception of a few authors. I have stepped back from some authors and had to unfriend them on Facebook and twitter. Most authors don’t care and very few read my blogs so no harm, no foul but I am sure other readers feel the same way as I do. I know I usually feel so much better when I write down what is bothering me so I hope they will feel the same release as I do just by reading this blog.

Now onto the blog, I have written what I consider the responsibility of a reader and an author before but if you have not read it I will state a few of them again. As a reader I have the responsibility to buy the book and not download it from a pirate site. Really, there is only one other thing as reader I have to do and that is to respect the author’s work and not to tell them how to write, what to write and when to write it. That is it. That is my job as a reader.

An author’s job it is to put out the best book they can at that moment. I know a lot of authors feel pressure to put out books quickly for their readers but you would not rush Monet and so why should you push any other artist to hurry?  Yes, I said that authors are artist and to me they are. Who else do you know that can talk to people in their head and put their stories down on paper without being medicated?

Now here is what is bothering me today and yesterday and for several months. I have seen a multitude of authors asking for reviews. It is not my job to promote your book. If I feel strongly about a book then I will review it but I shouldn’t feel guilty about not writing one.  And I do start to feel guilty if I read that an author is begging for reviews and I don’t write one. I start to feel as if I am letting them down.

Here is the thing, I am anti reviews. I have heard of some of the things that some authors have done and it sickens me to the core. I don’t trust reviews because of the things I have seen with my own eyes and heard from other about some of the tricks and things that authors have stooped to doing. Things like having husbands, beta’s, friends and even themselves writing 5 star reviews. Some have even made up multiple email addresses to use so they can write more than one review.  Things like this has made it hard for me to read some authors and I have decided to just stop buying the authors. Now there are some authors who give away copies of books specifically for reviews and if you get one of those then yes, you should write a review. But for all that is holy please don’t just ass kiss the author, be honest!!!

Now onto yet another thing that has helped foster this reading funk, the dedications and acknowledgements in the books.  If someone has truly helped you writing the book or supported you by all means put them in the book but lately I have seen several authors put review sites and some reviewers by name in the book. Am I the only one who sees this as a conflict of interest?  If you put their name in the book that will take away their impartiality when reviewing the book.  Most of you know I have beta read for a few authors and I never write reviews for their books, as much as I may love them. Now if someone asks me my opinion about a book I will tell them that I did beta the book and then give them my honest opinion.

I won‘t even get started on Street Teams. I know I am stepping on some author toes and I am sorry but these are things that have been sticking in my craw for months and sometimes even years.  Feel free to disagree with me and if you would like to respond feel free.

Sarcastically Sinful,

Schmuttmeister

4 comments:

  1. I find the asking for reviews and other tactics disagreeable, but since I am on few bloody awesome Street Teams I do not understand the hate you have for them. People who are butt kissers will always be butt kissers but I believe an Author should have an Arena that he or she can test things out and hope for honest responses, not all members on Street Teams are members of Chapstick squads. I love my Authors that i follow and will pimp them whether in their street team or not. Though I do feel special as a Reader being invited / included in their confidences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not I hate Street Teams I just have ethical issues with them. If an author has a street team good for them and I really don't care that is their business. I have issues with unethical behavior that I have heard about and seen.

      Delete
    2. Okay that makes sense thanks

      Delete
  2. I will say I totally agree with you. As an author, I read the reviews I receive, but I have rarely asked for people to review my books. If a person feels strongly--either for or against what I've written--they have the right to voice his/her opinion. As a reader, I rarely leave reviews unless it's a book that's struck me as particularly good or bad. I appreciate your dedication to supporting authors, and avoiding pirate sites. Thank you for understanding that sometimes it takes a while to get those voices talking (coherently) so production can be slow at times.
    I hope your reading funk eases soon. I know I always hated when I didn't have a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete