Thursday 19 September 2013

Words

These are the most powerful things in the world. Most people would say weapons were more powerful but the use of weapons usually comes after some serious words are spoken or written. Words are the way in which we communicate with each other. They show our hopes our dreams and even our evil thoughts. This brings me to the point of this blog, Wordsmiths.

 Most people just call them writers but to me it is more than just writing.  A scientist can be a writer.  A Wordsmith is someone who can bring a feeling to a subject.  These are the people who fire up our imaginations. They bring even the mundane things to life but just putting them on paper and adding their talents and thoughts on the subject.

It takes a special kind of person to put words on paper.  I never thought I would be someone who would attempt it. In my family my sister Jean is the writer. She was a very quiet girl who felt things and expressed them through words. She used to write all the time but now she has devoted more time to reading and I think she has given up the writing completely. She always said she did not have the drive it takes to be a writer. I think she should still be writing even if it is just for her. Even people who have no talent for the written word should at least put words on paper if even just for themselves. I think by writing you can ease your everyday burdens. No one ever has to see what you put just the act of putting it down will sometimes help clear your mind.

Some people think I am an ass kiss but to me wordsmiths may be some of the most important people in the world. I am talking about anyone who can communicate and bring a crowd to its feet. Think back to history class yep way back for some of us. Remember the history teacher talking about one of the most powerful documents ever published was a pamphlet called Common Sense by Thomas Paine.  It brought the cause of revolution to the everyday man and woman. Had Thomas Paine never written that document would we all have possibly still have British accents,  but then again maybe not but the world would sure be a different place today.

In modern times it still takes an amazing person to write the words to fire up a nation. Could you imagine politicians just saying what they thought,*shuddering* I gives me hives to imagine it.  There is a reason there are speech writers. Not everyone has the ability to put the words together in a way that is not just meaningful but can bring passion to a subject. Some would argue that a good orator is the one who brings the passion and to a degree it is true but you still have to have the words to communicate.

It is a travesty that there are still people in the world who are illiterate. I could not imagine what my life would be like if I never had the opportunity to learn to read.  I know my life would be a lot less enjoyable. I am always surprised when someone tells me that they don’t like to read. I don’t understand this concept. How could you not want to take a journey around the world and hell sometimes out of this world without ever leaving the security of your own home?   I work with people who haven’t read a book since high school.  When I ask them about it they tell me that it is boring and I always tell them that it is that they just haven’t found the author who ignites their imagination.  I always feel the need to take them to a bookstore and find them a book or hell even a magazine that brings passion to their day.

I mostly feel that television and movies have taken the place of books for so many.  Now I am not bashing tv hell I love it but I realize that there is more to a show than the actors and directors. Most don’t see the connection between books and their favorite shows.  Unless all they watch is reality *shudders*.  If you talked to a television writer they would tell you that they are inspired by another author. It could be anyone from Stephen King to William Shakespeare. I love to ask authors who are their favorites.  Sometimes they surprise me with their answers. To me there really are no bad authors just authors who either have not found their voice or have not found their audience.

Now who are has inspired you to read or who has made you want to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard?

Sinfully Sarcastic,

Shmuttmeister  

No comments:

Post a Comment