Tuesday 6 May 2014

Convention Season by Amy Hawthorn


                It’s here! Every year I’m disappointed because I can’t go to them all. Last year, I made it to two. This year I only have one on my schedule.

                It’s no secret that I’m not a social butterfly. In a room buzzing with people I can sit in the corner with a book or my computer and I’d be just as happy reading, than I would be meeting new people. It’s not that I’m not a friendly person, but that I spend a ton of time in my own head and I like it there.

                But, even at busy conventions there’s plenty for even the shyest of people to do. Workshops, signings, games, parties. If you can think of it, it’s probably there to be experienced.

                And for those of you who are people –people, you’re what makes the convention buzz with life. I’ve been fortunate enough to meet a few that I stay in contact with. I adore and maybe even envy them for their ability to strike up a conversation with almost anyone. 

                I’m not a veteran by any means. I’ve only been to RT twice, Lora Leigh’s RAW and Lori Foster’s RAGT. There are countless others that I haven’t experienced, but they all have one thing in common.

Readers.
                And at the heart of it, readers are damn fine people. And in my opinion, it’s well worth the hand-sweats and a few stumbled over words to peek out of my comfort zone to meet fellow readers.
There are a few doozies out there for certain, but for every one not-so-nice person there are five fellow readers who are there for the same reason I am.

                Whether it’s to find new authors, learn more about the industry or craft, market their own works or kick back and enjoy the party atmosphere, there’s plenty to experience and someone there worth meeting.



                Have you been to a romance convention? If so what did you go for, if not what would you hope to find? Do you have a favorite?

Amy 

2 comments:

  1. This years RT will be my 5th convention. I have even met you and I could tell you were shy but you were still really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year is my Maiden Convention at RT. I am nervous but I think that going with Tracey Reid will be a ice breaker for sure. I am excited to meet some of my fave authors, just hope that I live up to my online personna. It is so easy to be bright and bubbly behind the keyboard lol.

    ReplyDelete