Tuesday 12 March 2013

Guest Blogger Tymber Dalton


*Tymber steps up to the microphone and taps it.*


Is this thing on? Testing, one…two… Okay. Hi, I’m Tymber Dalton, and I’m addicted to storytelling.


What? This is the wrong room? *Checks flier.* Um, oh. *Looks down at Spongebob pj pants and tank top.* Guess I’m kind of underdressed if this is a sex addicts meeting, huh? Heh. Um, sorry.


*Runs to other room.* Okay, THIS is the Righteous Perverts room. *Closes door and walks into the room.* Sorry about that, folks. Okay. As started to tell those folks across the hall over there, I’m addicted to storytelling. People ask me what genres and romantic parings I love best, and I honestly don’t have an answer for you. I follow the stories the “voices” tell me to follow. As the characters come alive on the page, they share their story with me and I tell it.


That story might be a MF mystery, or a MM suspense, or a MMF contemporary, or it might be a MFMM paranormal, or… It just depends on the story, really. I know that sounds like a cop-out answer, but it’s really not.


And “they” say write what you know. Well, not always possible. I don’t know what it’s like to be a two hundred year-old male wolf shifter, or what interplanetary space travel feels like. I do, however, know what it’s like to be in love. I know the racing heart from new relationship energy flooding through me. I know what it’s like to pine for a loved one you can’t be with.


I know what grief feels like. (Boy, do I know what it feels like.)


I’m particularly drawn to writing BDSM and power exchange dynamics because I live it in real life. I have a Hubby and a Sir who are two different people (no, we don’t all live together, and no, it’s not as sexy-timish as you might think LOL). I am a switch, meaning I’m comfortable on either end of a flogger. I have a lot of very dear friends in the lifestyle, some of whom I consider extended family.


It’s scarier for me, in a way, to put out a book like The Denim Dom, because it is such a personal book. There are a few “ripped from real life,” so to speak, passages in the book that were either close to or identical to things I’ve done. Relationship dynamics and rituals that are spot-on. I’m professional enough not to whine that it’s my “baby,” but yeah, putting a literal piece of myself out there for the world to rip apart is damn scary. Add to it the fact that there are so many people out there new to the BDSM genre who don’t know much about it, and that just multiplies my fear.


On the other hand, there are things, like skeet shooting, my Pagan beliefs, and other experiences I’ve had in my life that I’ve easily folded here and there into stories with little personal exposure, as it were. My love of the original Star Trek television series mixed with my adoration of the movie Alien to give me the idea for the Deep Space Mission Corps series. Character-driven stories that focused on the people, not the technology.


I know there are people who think being a writer is a glamorous job, and you couldn’t be any more wrong. LOL I’m not Stephen King. Me and most other writers out there are working just as hard at this as we would at any other evil day job (EDJ). More, in some cases, when it’s our sole source of income (as it is for me). It’s just little ole’ me at the keyboard every day, banging my head against the desk and praying the words fall loose onto the page in some semblance of order. I’m fortunate enough that Hubby is retired, so he’s taken over the housekeeping and dog walking duties, but my average working day is 10+ hours at my desk. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how the book is going and if I’m stuck in home improvement hell (like I currently
am).


Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do for a living. Despite the numbing fear I frequently feel when writing, the worry that this is the book everyone will hate and that’ll be the end. I’m under no illusions that there is zero job security in my world. Couple that with asshole pirate sites who give away my books for free (or worse, sell them and pocket MY money) and it can be pretty discouraging sometimes.


But I, as do all writers who’ve stubbornly made this our life’s work, pick myself up and brush myself off and get back in my chair and do it again. (Guess I really am as masochistic as I am sadistic, huh? LOL) Usually it never fails that at the time I feel the worst, get the most discouraged, I’ll inevitably receive an email from a reader who loved something I wrote, or talks about how therapeutic my work was for them, or how I helped them see something in a more positive light, or how I helped them get through a dark period in their life.


That’s when I smile and dig in again, loving what I do and thankful for all the readers out there who support me (and other authors) by buying our books. I know you have other, better ways to spend your money, but the fact that you spent it on me really means something to me. I appreciate it more than you know. (And so do my furbabies every time I fill their food bowls. LOL)


So thank you, you gals and guys are great, and I truly appreciate you reading my books. We couldn’t do this without you.


Tymber Dalton can be found on the web at: http://tymberdalton.com and http://facebook.com/tymberdalton


Her latest release is The Denim Dom, a sequel to The Reluctant Dom and Domme by Default and part of her Suncoast Society series of books. You can find them on her Siren-BookStrand page at: http://www.bookstrand.com/tymber-dalton




Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that "The Denim Dom," Tony's story and a sequel to "The Reluctant Dom" and "Domme by Default," is now available:



http://www.bookstrand.com/the-denim-dom

Blurb:

Who needs leather when you can have denim? A denim Dom, that is.

Shayla Pierce dumped her lying ex and moved to Florida to start a job at a magazine. An assignment to write about BDSM leads her to discover a new world and make a slew of new friends, including the sinfully sexy Tony Daniels. She’s just not sure she can ever trust again.

Tony is used to teaching about BDSM, but he’s never trained a submissive he wasn’t dating before. After losing hope he’ll ever find the perfect submissive for him, Shayla walks into his life and asks him to train her for her series of articles. He knows about her bad break-up and their agreement is supposed to be nothing more than business. But as she raises the ante, he’s finding it harder to keep his heart under lock and key.

Will Shayla stay a hostage to her past, or allow Tony to become her Denim Dom?

--

Other books from this "world" and characters followed up by this book include:

The Reluctant Dom
Domme by Default
Safe Harbor
Cardinal's Rule

I've dubbed this group of stories "The Suncoast Society" and have several more books planned involving these and other characters.

They're all available at my author page on Siren-BookStrand's site:

http://www.bookstrand.com/tymber-dalton

You can go to my Siren-BookStrand author page and click on the Notify Me link to get an email from Siren when they update my page and add new books for pre-order. (It's also where you can find all my releases under my various pen names: Tymber Dalton, Lesli Richardson, Tessa Monroe, and Macy Largo.)

And you can find me on the web at:

http://tymberdalton.com

http://twitter.com/TymberDalton

http://facebook.com/tymberdalton

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TymberDalton_updates/

https://plus.google.com/118382222849341409443/


Thanks!
Tymber.

9 comments:

  1. Damn I am behind in your books again. Looks like I may have to have another reading weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I really fell in love with Tony while reading the Reluctant Dom, so I am excited to see he got his own story! I have to catch up to read him! Did I mention how much I LOVED The Reluctant Dom?? You ROCK, Tymber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SORRY TYMBER. If you were here earlier the blog was eaten by blogspot but it is now fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tymber for your stories. Speaking for myself there is nothing bar saving for NOLA 2014 that I would rather spend my money on than books. They are my sanity and my escape. I love when I can feel as if I am welcomed into the book. I cal it now the quicksand, I get sucked in and taken for a great ride and feel depressed when I am spat out the other end. I enjoyed Tony's story and I hope Sir was happy with it. Thanks for sharing in fiction some of your true life stories and for not feeling shame because of others try to bring your lifestyle down. I hope to be able to continue in helping to feed your fur babies. Much love to you and your husband during this time of illness for your Mother In Law, may she have some happy times in amongst the rubbish.
    Cheers again Cherie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. :) I appreciate the comments. Sir actually hasn't read it (yet). He's taking it with Him on a business trip to read. :) (Sorry, just got back home a little while ago from several hours on the road to airport and back LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all you write Tymber, your books are a wonderful excape from the hell we call life. They make me actually want to live within the pages. Your a wonderful author and someone I would love to meet and hopefully some day at one of your book signings I will do just that. I love your books and look forward to whenever a new one comes out. Thank you for what you do, you are appreciated more than you know, at least from this reader. Your a wonderful person and you share so much. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tymber that was a great blog. Very honest:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tymber, thank you for The Reluctant Dom..Everytime I think of the story it brings a tear to my eye.In the story you allowed the Seth and Leah the oppurtunity to be with Kaden during his illness and tosay their goodbyes even though it broke their hearts. While one might wish gor a quick end andno suffering,twice in my life I have not been given that oppurtunity when my loved ones were taken from me without warning and it gives me an insight into how different it could have been.Now I dont forget to tell my loved ones that they are precious every single day.

    ReplyDelete